Scalp Psoriasis Treatment:
Treating Scalp Psoriasis: Topical Corticosteroids
Topical medication covers a wide spectrum of psoriasis treatments. Generally, the focus will be on corticosteroids, but we will also cover other popular non-steroidal topical medications that play an important role in psoriasis management.
Topical corticosteorids are powerful medications that have the effect of reducing inflammation, and constricting blood vessels nearby. They are used widely in the field of dermatology, and are prescribed for rashes, eczema, and dermatitis, in addition to psoriasis.
Inflammatory processes are thought to play an important role in psoriasis, and by keeping this in check, the scales and patches that are seen in psoriasis will often clear in short time.
Topical Steroid Benefits:
- The most standard treatment for psoriasis and very effective
- Powerful medication
- Variety of strengths available
- Reduces itching and inflammation significantly
- Often used to control flares as it is very fast acting
Topical Steroid Drawbacks:
- Mild adverse effects range from skin thinning to weakening of the immune system around the area where the medication is applied
- The body can build a resistance to steroids over time, requiring the use of stronger steroids to obtain the same clearing effects
- Long-term use can result in loss of effectiveness and thinning of scalp skin
- Some people can develop allergies to steroids
- In some cases, if stronger steroids are withdrawn suddenly, it can result in a reaction where the psoriasis can flare worse than it initially was, which can result in a kind of steroid dependency
- Steroids are the main treatment method for all but the most severe cases of scalp psoriasis, and are generally safe if the doctor's indications area followed properly
- It is also important to remember that steroids are powerful medications that should be treated with respect
- Apply exactly as instructed, and never use other people's medications or pass yours to others
- Never use topical steroids for areas of the body other than that which was indicated by the doctor
- If you notice any adverse side-effects, notify your doctor immediately so that another solution can be worked on